Re: a perplexing matter- rear spring replacement

To: "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Subject: Re: a perplexing matter- rear spring replacement
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <spitfire@acquirer.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:08:49 +0100
> When I went to put the spring
> back in though the little pin on the bottom spring fits in the receptacle
> for it on the differential the bolts from the bracket will nto screw into
> the differential.  I know I have the ground portion of the spring to the
> rear and I have tried putting a screw drive though the holes to get them
> line up. Still I and some mechanic friends can't get the bolts to start
into
> the differential.  I ordered the spring new form Spitbits.  Any
suggestions
> on  what I can do?

Did you get the right rear spring? My own Mk 2 has a different spring from
the 1500s. The rear spring for the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 require six bolts, in a
square with two off-set. The Mk4 and 1500 has just 4 bolts. Looking at the
Rimmers catalogue here (Page 96), have you got the lower plate from the
bottom of the spring (P/N 149189) in the correct place?

Could someone have put an older (six stud) on your Spit before you got it?

When I restored by bushings last year, I removed the rear spring. I replaced
the studs on the diff casing, and then placed the rear spring down between
them. The retaining plate then just dropped into place.

My two cents,

Aidan