a perplexing matter- rear spring replacement

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: a perplexing matter- rear spring replacement
From: "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:32:00 -0400
Greetings. I have recently acquired a ''73 spitfire 1500 and it had the
common problem of a week rear spring.  I consulted the Haynes manual and
ordered a replacement spring form Spit bits. When I went to put the spring
back in though the little pin on the bottom spring fits in the receptacle
for it on the differential the bolts from the bracket will nto screw into
the differential.  I know I have the ground portion of the spring to the
rear and I have tried putting a screw drive though the holes to get them to
line up. Still I and some mechanic friends can't get the bolts to start into
the differential.  I ordered the spring new form Spitbits.  Any suggestions
on  what I can do?