Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 12:03:04 -0400
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
> Most "headline" mileage figures are simply the highest figures that have
> been achieved.

  Perhaps in the 60s, but ABSOLUTELY not today.

> > since the rest of the world is thinking
> >of combined fuel economy figures, which are obviously much
> >lower.
>
> But how do you define them?

  There is a very specific formula for determining this
figure. Combines urban and highway ratings in some preset
ratio. I believe in the US it is called the EPA
mileage estimate. This is the only one that can be
put on advertising material, and it always has the
asterisk next to it that refers to a note at the bottom
that says "EPA mileage estimate".

  If you think about it, it has to be this way so that
consumers can fairly compare cars from different manufacturers
to see which ones are more economical. All the published
fuel consumption figures, and those used in television
commercials and window stickers, are directly comparable.

> "Fuel economy of up to 50
> mpg" would still be a proud boast of any modern car manufacturer.

  Maybe for an SUV, but not for such a tiny car.

  There are many economical cars today that achieve this
figure for real, using standard "combined" mileage
figures (ie: the same ones that saw the spitfire getting
around 25mpg). And, sadly, generating more horsepower
along the way. :<

  Case in point, the Insight hybrid makes 73hp and can
also deliver 61/68mpUSg. First number is city, second number
is highway, but even the official highway measurement isn't
the same as steady state 50mph consumption, it's more
simulated back roads driving with some stopping, some
starting, some passing, etc.

  I'm guessing what the Spit would be under those
figures, but likely something like 25/32. A far cry
from 50.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca