Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.

To: tboicey@brit.ca, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 07:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
According to Trevor Boicey:

> Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
> > The Spitfire 1500 was advertised as the first sports car to achieve 50
> > mpg and 100 mph (although not simultaneously!).
>
>   Wow that must have been a pretty feather-footed
> driver who got 50mpg. (or a 50 mile downhill and
> a generous gallon!)

Maybe that was Imperial Gallons.  :-)

>   Most listers seem to get around 25mpg, however I suspect
> most listers are measuring with the slightly smaller
> US version of the gallon.

25!!  Now that's disappointing.  I have 90K on a motor that has seen
no work at all and carburator that is badly in need of a rebuild and
I get a solid 30MPG.  I would imagine a new engine with a properly
functioning carb would easily get 40MPG.  And, now that I think of
it, if the car had OD it might easily approach 50MPG on the hiway.

>   Perhaps was it 40mpg? Even that sounds like a stretch
> for a real world car, but maybe one of those specially
> prepared cars with 100psi tires and a 10 speed
> gearbox. ;>

If I had OD, I would expect my mileage would easily approach 40MPG.
And being a true daily driver, I think that's as real world as it gets.

bill

PS.  Watch for an anouncement of the pictures from this years All British
Car Day in Kingston, ON.  I'm working on them.

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |