Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 07:30:44 +0100
In article <3B8F8302.9871C78@Fairchildsemi.com>, Howard Allen <Howard.Al
len@Fairchildsemi.com> writes
>My Spit gets about 28MPG in mixed driving.  I have the low compression
>1500 engine.  It may be possible that
>the high compression 1976 (US) engine would do better.  Michael, with
>the UK version, automatically has the
>"high" compression engine (as compared to the US).  I have never
>attempted to drive my Spit 80MPH but I am sure
>if my experience with my Honda CB750-4 is any guide, gas mileage will
>drop appreciably at speeds over 80MPH, given the RPM's that you are
>turning (without overdrive - I am assuming).  My Honda normally gets
>42-44 MPG with mixed driving, but on the Interstate and 85 (with two on)
>it dropped to about 33.

The Spitfire 1500 was advertised as the first sports car to achieve 50
mpg and 100 mph (although not simultaneously!).   At 80 mph, as I say, I
have had 40 mpg.   Had I ever done a long journey at a more sensible
speed, say 55 mph, I would expect to have got the magic 50 mpg figure.
Stop/start driving in rush-hour is no good for fuel-efficiency, which is
why I only manage to get about 32 mpg.   I would imagine that you would
achieve the best mileage figures by driving at a constant 35 mph or so
in top gear (if you weren't run off the road by the irate SUV-driver who
was stuck behind you...)

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"