Re: Header Paint

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Header Paint
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:57:34 -0800 (PST)
Hey Larry,
 I haven't used any of the brush on paint on a header,
but the spray on header paints burn right off on the
hotter areas, and the areas that are colder will peel
or burn off within a month of regular driving.

 I know it's difficult to be patient, but my
suggestion would be to get it ceramic coated. There's
probably a shop in your area that does it. I plan on
sending parts out to Classic coatings in WI (they have
about a 2-4 week turn around).

They charge around $100-150 for a 4 cyl. header and
will flow-coat the interior for some extra. I know
it's a lot especially when shipping is worked into the
figures. But you can get it in high luster silver
(looks like chrome) and I don't expect it will rust
any time soon (my monza header started rusting about
30 days after I installed it). There's no extra charge
for the bead blasting, masking or working on
stainless. The only thing they'll charge extra for is
if the part is super grimey or if they have to remove
some crappy cermaic/chrome off of the part.

920-458-3790 phone
price list and color charts are on their web page:
http://www.classiccoatings.com/

I know Ted Schumacher sells some headers which he can
have ceramic coated, which is probably the route I
will go with. Since I know Avi was unable to get his
Rimmer SS header to work (I'm not sure if it wouldn't
clear the frame or if they sent him a stainless header
for an earlier head.) I still plan on using Classic
Coatings for some other stuff.

The main draw back to ceramic coatings (especially the
high luster silver) is that once you have one part
done, it makes the rest of your engine and accessories
look like crap and then you get the compulsion to get
the rest of the items done. Luckily they also have a
flat black and steel grey color that they also coat.

-Terry
'76 Spit 1500 with a new water pump. (You don't have
to keep to close an eye on those water seep holes.
When the bearing starts to go, the water comes out in
a pretty steady stream and your car takes a leak all
over the parking lot).

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/