Re: Classic Car Restoration factory in China

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Classic Car Restoration factory in China
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:06:13 +0100
At 07:14 26-2-2001 -0800, Jeff McNeal wrote:

>Good luck on your quest to become "Capitolist of the Year" in Communist Red
>China.  I agree with Scott Roberts.

I agree with the sentiments expressed so far.

But I suggest we don't get wound up about this. A similar scheme was tried
about a decade ago in India. Pictures of wrecks being exported and restored
cars being re-imported abounded in the classic cars press. After all the
hoopla in the magazines, nobody ever heard anything of the venture and I
for one have never seen a car restored in India.

I've seen reproduction bumpers and bodywork from India and take it from me:
you don't want any of those. I've also seen a lot of cheap, old-looking
furniture from both India and China. From a distance, it mostly looks OK.
But when you get nearer, you suddenly realise you get what you pay for. I
suppose it'll be the same with restored cars. There are only so many
dreamers you can fool with cars that have been superficially 'done up'.

Cheers,

--
Eric Kieboom - The Netherlands
1976 Spit 1500 - Original Java Green