Re: Spitfire books (was: Spitfire 1500 tools)

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire books (was: Spitfire 1500 tools)
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:51:13 +0100
At 08:26 25-2-2001 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

>Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl> writes
>
>>Robson's book deals more with the car's ancestry, development and history
>>and less with the details of originality. It's a good, informative read.
>>
>>The one I think anyone can do without after the Guide to Originality and
>>Robson's book is the fairly recently published "Triumph Spitfire and GT6 -
>>The Complete Story". IMHO, it really doesn't add much to the first two.
>
>Ah.   That's a little awkward, since the adverts in the TSSC mag show
>two books by Graham Robson, one entitled "Triumph Spitfire & GT6" and
>captioned "The Complete Guide to Spitfire/GT6" and one entitled "Triumph
>Spitfire and GT6" and captioned "Spitfire/GT6 Collector's Guide".   The
>former is in portrait format, the latter in landscape.   Which is the
>one to avoid?

I don't own a copy of "Spitfire/GT6 Collector's Guide", so I can't say
anything about that.

"Triumph Spitfire and GT6 - The Complete Story" is by James Taylor. It's
not a bad book, probably worth the 20 quid ($36.-). It just contains a lot
of information that is already in the Guide to Originality and the Complete
Guide. Perhaps it has a little more details on the racing cars, accessories
and various production changes, but not much. The Complete Story was
published last year.

Cheers,