Re: Suspension Help needed

To: d t gebhard <kimkell@decaturnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Suspension Help needed
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:38:31 -0500
At 10:26 PM 2/23/2001 -0500, Dave wrote:

>why is it that when I corner hard, the rear wants to *break loose*? (dry
>pavement)

Around my neck of the woods, this time of the year, we would blame that on
cold tires and the cinders on the road. <<darn snow>>

But seriously,

>I have ALL new poly bushing all
>around. New KYB shocks front and back. Real good BF
>Goodrich tires all around. When I had some cheap JC
>Whitney shocks on the back,I didn't have this
>problem as much. Should I look into a rear sway
>bar? Autoxing is defiantly on my agenda. I'm sure
>there's more to it,and I'm willing to look into
>most cures.
>             Dave Gebhard
>             1977 Spitfire

Dave, have you checked the alignment since the re-bush?  That could be
affecting your handling.

Also, you might want to play with tire pressures -- like yours, my Spit can
be tail-happy with factory recommended tire size and pressures: hard
cornering makes the narrow 155s roll over onto the sidewalls and start to
slide. (At autocrosses, with my stock setup, I run the tires at the max
inflation pressure on the sidewall, and the car is quite predictable and
stable.  I use shoe polish on the sidewall to see which tire is rolling
over most, and adjust pressures from there.)

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (stock, but with negative front camber)
Succasunna, NJ USA