Re: High Volume Oil Pump

To: clshore@yahoo.com, CraigS@iewc.com, brewsjl@hotmail.com, sos@kymtnnet.org,
Subject: Re: High Volume Oil Pump
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:10:44 EST
My local LBC shop recommends checking the oil pump during a rebuild. The
measurement amounts to the difference in height of the inner impeller and the
outer casing of the pump. That difference is supposed to be .003" to .004".
Any more than that and you are supposed to lap the outer casing down to
restore that measurement. It seems to me that if this measurement is out of
spec that this, of course, would cause low oil pressure and I wonder if the
oiling problems of worn Spit engines are partly due to this.

Also, my understanding is that the 79-80 models had the high volume pump as
standard, so if your engine is of that vintage you're ok. right?

My question is: where is this oil gallery that has to be drilled out? My
block/crank is back together and I'm curious as to whether I can perform this
without tearing the engine down again. Can the metal shavings be cleared out
without having to flush the engine block, etc.

Tom Burke
80 Spit