RE: gas prices - YIKES!

To: "'Bradley D. Richardson'" <brichard@us.oracle.com>,
Subject: RE: gas prices - YIKES!
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:49:31 -0500
Actually it does affect them buy affecting their stock shares.  To be more
precise it could affect them, given that enough people were to take part.
Stocks do not pay attention to the fact that usage will be up in a couple of
days.  The stock market is more of an emotional than logical system.  If you
shake it, and scare the investors of one company into bailing out (which
only takes a couple days, seen that one happen).  Than you drastically
affect the price of the share and the value of the company as a whole.  Drop
the value of a companys shares by half thier value and see if they don't
take notice.

While obviously a complete halt of usage would do more, I realize that it is
also impractical at this point.  But a temporary interruption, by the VAST
MAJORITY would work.  Problem is if you got 10,000 people all across the US
to observe this for three days you have done nothing, as another 220 million
simply filled up in your place.

The truth be told the costs of GAS in the US is a closely watched item in DC
(maybe not so effectively) where the formula for gas is dictated.  They
decide how much gas from what souorce and what quality to make what, to keep
the cost balanced on the economy.

Truth is there are thousands of wells in West Texas that people were paid by
the government to fill in because it was decided that particular source of
gas did not fit into the governments equation.

Hmmm, makes you think

patrick Bowen