Re: Diff pinion nut removal

To: Alan Lemen <alemen@ftconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Diff pinion nut removal
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:07:09 -0700

Alan Lemen wrote:

> Huw, all the bits are marked for alignment. Thing is I just need to change the
> one seal so the diff is on the car. The iron piece is done. I was hoping that
> having it against the chassis would suffice. I am looking for something to
> extend the leverage on the wrench.
>
> Anyway since they probably just torqued it up originally in the factory and
> never had to do any alignment I have not worked out exactly why things need to
> be so exact. who cares if the wheels are turned a bit more or the diff is on
>the
> next teeth on the crown and pinion. It is a continuous thing. I have not
>figured
> the reason. As long as the nut is torqued on right and the pinion and drive
> plates are connected ( still don't see what the need to be aligned to the old
> location either). Anyone know?

I do!

On later model 1500's (I don't know at which point they started), the
pinion bearing preload is determined by that collapsible spacer.  If you
don't get the adjustment exactly correct (or darn near exact) the
bearing will wear out prematurely.

Needless to say that is a much bigger problem than a leaky pinion seal!

Regards,
Joe Curry

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer