RE: Brakes

To: "'Bowen, Patrick A RP2'" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: RE: Brakes
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 14:32:20 -0500
Patrick,

I rebuilt my brakes this summer. The front shoe on each side is the
"primary". In other words, it is supposed to do most of the braking.
If you examine the brakes closely, you will see that the wheel cylinder
is not fastened to the backing plate, it is supposed to float. When
the brakes are applied, the front shoe moves forward, and when it
contacts the drum, the wheel cylinder moves backward and thus brings
the rear shoe into contact with the drum. The rear shoe should be
essentially upside down from the front. Actually, if memory serves,
it is rotated 180 degrees around the axle.

I will try to find my shop manual and scan it into the computer
tonight. That is if I can get my scanner running. I will send
you a copy of the relevant pages.

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
mailto:dmitchel@ismi.net