Re: Brakes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:21:57 -0500

>Patrick Bowen wrote:
>
>> I am redoing the rear brakes on my '79 Spit.  The axles are all the way off
>> on the bench (shipwrights disease) and I am doing them there.  I have
>> everything connected and on correctly and the brakes adjusted the entire
way
>> in.  However, the drum will not fit on.  The shoes were remanufactured ones
>> from NAPA (whole lot cheaper than the usual suspects and no shipping) but I
>> am questioning the quality.  a couple of the ends of material looked a
>> little crushed.  all four shoes are exactly the same, no leading or
>> trailing.  I have looked at this everyway imaginable and am lost.  This is
>> probably the thirty-thousandth time i have done brakes, so I don't think I
>> could be doing something stupid and simple.  Is it possible that the shoes
>> are too thick or wrap around too far?  How can I check this?  Should I take
>> them back (I really rather not)  What does the great wisdom of the list
have
>> to say.

When I have this problem, I take some 36 to 80 grit sandpaper and sand the
shoes just a little.  Then try the drum again.  If no go, sand somemore.
Repeat until the drum fits.

It is assuming as has been mentioned that the adjusters are all the way
loose and you have the shoes "centered".

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org