RE: Spitfire 1500 year?

To: "'Laura.G@141.com'" <Laura.G@141.com>, Tom Harvey
Subject: RE: Spitfire 1500 year?
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 11:53:28 -0500
To answer your question Tom, yes it should be easy.  To add to what Laura
said, there is a chassis number (I think that is what it is called) it will
be located on the frame outrigger immediately infront of the firewall on the
drivers side (U.S. Spec, yours might be on the passenger).  Your
differential does have a number that should be able to be tracked down, has
the body been changed? again there is a commission plate riveted to the
windshield pillar, and one in either the door jamb or under where the bonnet
latches are.  Which of these is the most reliable.  By looking at your car
it is obviously in the '73 to '78 range.  If your seats are original (since
you have houndstooth) that indicates that it is a later model maybe '76 to
'78.   Another very good indicator (since very few people have the want,
wish, or desire to change them) is the steering column.  What does your
steering wheel look like.  is your key on the column or under the dash
(under the dash on '76 and before) what about the stalks, are they simply
levers or are they integrated horn,windshield wipers, turn signals etc.
(again integrated would be '77 on, simple stalks for each is an indication
of '76 and before.  Is there a seperate windshield wiper control on the
dash, if so '76 and before.

That should be enough to get you started.  Let us know what you find

Patrick Bowen