Spitfire 1500 year?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500 year?
From: Tom Harvey <tom@tomh.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 15:14:33 +0000
I am desperately trying to age my Triumph Spitfire 1500, as the
documentation/ID has long been lost by previous owners, and the DVLA
seem to think that it is a 1970 Mk3 (!!).

I have used various sources (parts catalogues etc) to identify the age
of various 'features' of the accessories and trim, and these in the main
suggest that it is a 1977/8ish car, but am very aware that it has been
heavily restored, and how easy most of these parts are to change. The
more evidence I have of it's age the easier it will be to convince the
powers that be!

What I am now trying to do is find parts that have their actual
manufacture date stamped on them in some way. I have now found that the
Triplex windscreen was manufactured in February 19?7 which backs up my
previous guestimates.

Does anyone know of any other parts that were date marked on a UK 1500,
and where the stamps can be found (N.B. engine/gearbox is not the
original)?

Can a differential number indicate year of manufacture?

Oh, and there is a picture of it at
http:\\www.tomh.demon.co.uk\spitfire.htm
but I don't think it is detailed enough to help.

All help gratefully received.

--
http://www.tomh.demon.co.uk/                    Home: tom@tomh.demon.co.uk