Re: largest possible tires (was "Minilite Wheels")

To: David Bombardier <david@myogenics.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: largest possible tires (was "Minilite Wheels")
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 06:14:54 -0700
>I found some posts in the triumph list archives by Barry Schwartz, saying
>the largest possible tire size for a Spit was 205/60/13 (with a little
>tweaking).
********************************
David,
That reference was for the square tail Spitfires, and that size tire, with
the correct offset and 6 inch wide Pannasports are what I have on mine.  Be
advised that with a round tail the rear is not quite as wide and doesn't
have the clearance at the fender arches (possibly at the front as well),
and may not clear as it does on the square tails - In fact my 70 GT6, which
is the same as the Spitfire, body wise, has 165 R 13's (with wires) and
just rubs at the rear on rare occasions.  But remember, it also has a 1
inch wider track back there then the round tail Spitfires.  Before plunking
down your money for a set of tires (and rims?), I would mount one on a rim
and check both front and rear on your car just to be sure -

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)