Re: Vanishing Water.

To: deanr@saville.co.uk
Subject: Re: Vanishing Water.
From: Walt Fogle <foglew@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 09:48:37 PDT

Dean:

The expansion you describe is normal.  The expanded coolant should, however,
return to the engine block when it cools down.  Perhaps your thermostat is
not functioning properly, or at all.  I have installed in my '73 Spitfire a
180 degree thermostat and the engine runs cool and consistent.  I also put
on a new cap, replacing the 26 year old unit when I had the radiator
reconditioned.  I also found about 2 inches of rusty sludge in the expansion
bottle when I first bought the car.  The expansion bottle tube may be
clogged and not allow proper return.  (There should always be a couple of
inches of coolant in the bottle)

I'd recommend a thorough system flush, new hoses and a cooler thermostat.
(Most Spits have a 190 degree unit)  Make sure that your head gastket is not
leaking (check for brownish/milky residue on the underside of the oil filler
cap.  A bottle of Stop-Leak in the radiator will probably postpone your
having to pull the head for a while)  Throw away the old cap and put on a
new one!

Good luck,

Walt Fogle
'73 Spitfire "Rose"