Rebuilding Spitfire Disk Calipers

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding Spitfire Disk Calipers
From: "Bruce Hestand" <hestand@ultranet.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:56:55 -0400
Hi Listers,

I'm in the earliest stages of an '80 Spitfire restoration which was
"supposed"
to take a couple of months.  Next year is beginning to look like a good bet.
Currently working on disc brakes and trying to figure out how to get the
pistons
out without ruining anything.

Question 1:  Should I take the halves apart?  Seems like an obvious thing to
do
but I have this sneaking little concern about sealing it back together
again.

Question 2:  I have access to a 5hp/125psi air compresser.  Is it safe to
"blow"
the pistons to full extension and then remove them from there?
Wooden block or towels between the pistons?

Question 3:  While I've got it all apart it would seem a shame not to do a
little
detail work.  Any recommendations for paint/etc. to pretty things up?

If these are repeats, my apologies.  Couldn't find them in a faq anywhere.

Bruce Hestand
'80 Spitfire