Starting problem

To: Spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting problem
From: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 15:36:28 -0500
I had asked about a problem I was having starting the car about a week
ago. The car would almost catch and then make a humming sound. I spun
the starter motor out of the car and this is what I found. The bendix
would spin all the way from the spring to the motor. It would then stay
there for a second and then slowly walk back to the spring. Should the
bendix latch when it is by the motor until the flywheel overdrives? If
so what would be preventing it from latching?

The manual I have for the car says to take the bendix off you must first
completely disassemble the starter motor. Does the motor really have to
be disassembled or can you just remove the clip, retainer and spring to
get the bendix off?

Thanks
Chris Pappathopoulos