RE: Gearbox interchangability

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Gearbox interchangability
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:05:19 +0100
Mark,

No, you can't just bolt an overdrive onto the back of a non-o/d gearbox.
 For one thing, they share gearbox oil, so the gearbox casing is
different to allow oil to flow between the two units.  The mainshaft has
a splined (I think) output which provides an input into the overdrive
instead of the usual flange which bolts onto the propshaft.  In
addition, you'll need a shorter propshaft, and if you want the switch
mounted on the gearstick (the usual place for a 1500) you'll need a new
stick too.

One of the big suppliers in the UK (maybe John Kipping, but I can't
remember for sure) supplies everything you need as a kit, including a
rebuilt gearbox.  I think it costs around 400 UKP.  I don't know how
practical it is to modify an existing gearbox to work with o/d, but
since the cost of a reconditioned gearbox is so low, I'd guess it's
probably not worth it.

Dean