Re: Tub weight

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tub weight
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:05:50 -0400
At 09:59 PM 6/27/99 +0100, Paul McMullen wrote:

>I stripped out my Spit today in preparation for removing the body and
>facilitating chassis restoration (slapping some paint on), which brings me
>to my point, how much does a stripped out tub weigh? I know that it can be
>lifted by two people, but is that easily or just? I only have a small garage
>and there isn't much room for manouvering.

Yes, it is that easy.  However, depending on your age and how much you can
lift, I would suggest that you have 2 or 3 friends help you.  Just makes it
that much easier.

As to the tight quarters, you might want to roll it out in front of the
garage,
then lift the body off.  Now you will have the room to walk around in the
garage, and decide where and or what you want to do with the tub.

>Just had a thought, could the two main roof beams (9'x8"x2") support the tub
>if I hoisted it up using ropes?

I have a spare tub hanging upside down from the ceiling of my garage.  It
is pulled all the way up so the floor pans are basically touching the
ceiling.

>BTW it's a safety hazard to hang things from the rafters. Removing the
>passenger seat earlier I knocked the step ladders which caught the boot rack
>hanging down and swung it into my face. I now look like I've head butted a
>Klingon and the Spit has even more of my AB+ splattered across it!

Yup!  I hate to count the number of times I've had to climb up on a ladder
to get something off one of my shelfs and hit my head on the Spit tub, even
trying to be careful.

>Paul
>1981 reg 1500 (Topov).
>1977 TR7 coupe, now for sale 'cos it's boring.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org