Re: '79 Spitfire bumpers -- chrome or plastic?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: '79 Spitfire bumpers -- chrome or plastic?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 18:48:01 -0700

Andrew Mace wrote:

> Er, umm, we're both right. As near as I can tell from various sources,
> U.S.-bound 1979 model year Spitfires were numbered beginning around
> FM90001U. TRF's Spitfire 1500 cataloge notes the change to the rubber or
> plastics bumpers was made at FM95001[U]. They also (incorrectly, I
> believe) note that the 1979 model year began with FM95001. Again, at that
> same dealer where I spent so much time way back when, I remember seeing
> lots of new 1979 model year Spitfires before seeing the black bumpers.
> Definitely a mid-year change as I recall.

Andy,
According to our friend Anders at the BMIHT, the first '79 US Spit was
FM90001, but it was recognized in the US as the '78-1/2 model because it
was released in June.  FM95001 was made in August, so that is probably
the reason for the identification you refer to.

There apparently was some overlap in the manufacturing dates, because
the last '78-1/2 (FM98189) was built in September!

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer