RE: Lotus Elise

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Lotus Elise
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 23:44:28 -0100
At 11:50 13-05-1999 -0700, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

>WOW!  That's far less than my '97 Camaro Z-28 would have cost if I had been
>"stupid" enough to pay list price!  (Got it at fleet cost or about 20-25%
>off of sticker.)

Sure, but the Lotus only weighs about a quarter of the Camaro and comes
*without* A/C, any sound deadening whatsoever, carpets, power anything (not
even brakes), sound system, decent luggage space, spare tyre, airbags,
heated rear screen and a host of other things you like in your Z-28.

But it does have rock-'ard, non-adjustable seats, bare aluminium floor
(thin rubber mats are extra), an optional radio fitting kit, an aerosol can
in case you get a flat, a 'build-it-yourself-top', just like on a MkI/II
Spit (but worse), inaccessible engine, and 'wind'em-yourself-windows' with
wobbly plastic winders that drop off in sharp corners.

Oh, and it also comes with an unbelievable grin factor, caused mainly by
its terrific power-to-weight ratio, amazing roadholding and general
nippyness. And most of it doesn't rust. Ever.

Even if Lotus hadn't done something about the initial iffy build quality, I
would *still* prefer a Lotus Elise over a Camaro. Or pretty much any other
car for that matter.

Eric Kieboom
The Netherlands
1976 Spit 1500 - original Java Green