RE: Wooden dash refinishing

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wooden dash refinishing
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:25:43 -0700
At 08:44 AM 5/12/99 -0700, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

>Question:  Why use veneer at all?  I plan to use a single piece of solid
>hardwood.  The existing dash panels can be used as templates to lay out the
>three piece pattern, and then careful, patient use of a jig saw and drill
>should produce excellent results.  Add to that some hand rubbing and a
>quality finish, and you'll make the Rolls Royce and Jag owners jealous.  The
>only "hard" part I suppose is deciding which hardwood to use... Teak, Burl,
>Walnut, ...

        One of the biggest reasons not to use a solid piece is moisture/warpage.
A single piece has the grain in only one direction and is prone to warpage
later on.  Even if you seal it 100%, it will eventually absorb some moisture.

        Plywood is made of various layers, each one oriented 90% from the
previous
one, which will reduce any warpage later on dramatically.  Various veneer
plywoods can give you the walnut or teak dash you want.  Aircraft and
marine use plywoods are excellent for this purpose.

-Vegaman Dan
-66/69 Spitui!
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |       ConiFur NorthWest '99- Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |  Flinters@picarefy.com * www.picarefy.com/~flinthoof   |