Wooden dash refinishing

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Wooden dash refinishing
From: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 15:32:41 -0500

Hello all,

I began what I had hoped would be the simple task of replacing my
Spitfire's wooden dash with better-looking (but not perfect) pieces from a
parts car, and now that I realize what a tremendously large pain in the
butt it is to remove the three dash panels, I think it might be best to
take my old wood panels and refinish them so I'll have a perfect dash when
I'm done. My question is:

What finish should I use to get the right color and texture for my dash? Is
there a product out there that will be a perfect color match? I have no
experience with staining or finishing wood, so this is something totally
new to me. What steps should I take to strip/prep the wood? How do I do it?
Thanks in advance.

Eric.

-----
Eric Yates