Re: Wooden dash refinishing

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wooden dash refinishing
From: "Ray Bryant" <photoray@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:13:40 -0500
Eric,
I just finished redoing my dash and it looks great.  The veneer was bad on
my dash so I couldn't just strip and redo.  Here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth
area I was able to find a lumber yard which had a good selection of veneers.
 I chose Birdseye Maple.  If you have to re-veneer be sure to scrape the old
veneer off first and fill any holes that the DPO may have drilled.  Gluing
the veneer on is easy, but trimming the edges is a little harder.  I used a
Dremal tool with a router table.  Take your time, don't get in a hurry.
After the holes and edges are cut out you should sand out all of the dents
in the surface.  You can use any stain.  Just take some scrap veneer to Home
Depot and test some colors until you find what you like.  After you stain
the wood, don't forget to label the lights, flashers, brakes etc.  I went to
an art supply store and bought a sheet of rub on lettering.  I'm not very
good with a brush, so I chose to use a spray on Polyurethane.
Good luck,
Ray