Re: Strange Electrical Phenomena

To: moag@ix.netcom.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Strange Electrical Phenomena
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:07:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-18 21:19:59 EDT, moag@ix.netcom.com writes:

> The
>  failure list is: temp gauge, fuel gauge, turn signals, stereo, windshield
>  wipers. The still working list: horn, ignition light, headlights.

Dave,

All of the items you mention as not working are fed from the same circuit and
the same fuse. Theses items are fed by a green wire. The other items you
mentioned as working are on seperate circuits.

>  The second problem goes back to the turn signal. Even though I've now got
>  the original failure list working, about 50% of the time that I use a turn
>  signal, it momentarily cuts the circuit to everything else. This is most
>  noticeable in the stereo, the music just stops for a moment and then it
>  re-starts itself. It's probably also happening the gauges, but they are
slow
>  enough to register that it is hard to tell. Does anyone have any idea of
how
>  to start figuring this one out?

I doubt very seriously if you are shorting anything when this happens. A short
serious enough to stop the radio would leak a fair amount of smoke, at least
enough for you to smell. My guess is you've got a bad connection somewhere,
located such that the physical movement of the turn signal arm causes it to
open up.

Since all of the items of concern involve green wires, I would turn the
ignition key and the radio on, and very carefully start wiggling green wires
under the dash. Just give them, one at a time, a little nudge/wiggle, and
hopefully, one of the wiggles will knock out the radio. When it does, look at
the connections for this wire, and you will probably have found the problem.
Unless, of course, there are two problems, in which case you will need to
continue searching till you find the second problem as well.

The best place to start the wiggles is in the area closest to the turn signal
switch.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html