Re: Lowered springs

To: Tim McDaniel <tdmcdaniel@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Lowered springs
From: "William M. Gilroy" <w.lists@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:20:06 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Tim McDaniel wrote:

My question. Does anyone know, are the Moss springs that much better?

I have been lurking on this list for a while now. Currently I have a 77 MG Midget that I will be repainting this winter. Once that car is done I am thinking of an MGB-GT with either a V-8 or a V-6 conversion, and (I am sorry to say this) an automatic transmission. This is for domestic harmony and the crappy stop and go traffic here in NJ. An auto trans will make my commute easier. My car, my way.
I have had my Midget for about 5 years now and my feeling is that all of the repro springs are complete junk. This seems to be the consensus on the spridget list. The ones on my Midget from Moss sagged after one or two of years. When I make a spirited right turn I can bottom the springs out on that side. I think you would be better served by:

1. A set of NOS springs if you can find them.
2. Go to a local spring shop with the specs for you springs and have them make you a set. Find out what they need in the way of specs.

I have varying opinions about some of the repro items that we get, but I strongly feel that the springs are made out of dung forged Chinese steel. I don't care if the label states make in the UK, they still are crap!
How's that for an introduction to the list :-)

------
Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
95 Toyota
01 Irish Terrier

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.