Re: More info, but still won't start

To: "J MILLER" <road1978@hotmail.com>, <FJ40Jim@aol.com>, <Wake074@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More info, but still won't start
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 20:32:51 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Some engine ground straps run between the block and chassis at the LH engine
mount, and if it missing cranking will cause the accellerator and heater
cables to get hot and smoke.  But the coil is on the inner wing, so unless
the voltage was measured between coil terminal and engine ground instead of
coil terminal and coil body you wouild not see the effect of a bad engine
ground.

If it goes from 4v with the plugs in to 9v with them out then a bad battery
or bad connections in the heavy current circuit *is* indicated.  If you
connect your meter from the hot post of the battery (the post, not the
connector) to the hot terminal on the solenoid and crank with the plugs in,
you should ideally only see 0.2v  The same from the ground post to the
starter body.  If you see more than 0.5v on either test you have bad
connections, you can use the same technique to break down where the bad
connections are.

PaulH.