RE: MGB-V8 History

To: Tic Tac Group <uga4300@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: MGB-V8 History
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:18:15 -0800
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Zach:

        I will jump in.

        I don't think mismanaged is the best way to put it.  The MGB
platform was very dated by the time the V8 concept came out.  There was no
money for updating the platform to a more modern design.  The MGB V8 was a
smooth, powerful, expensive engine installed in a unrefined outdated
chassis.  Keep in mind the MGB chassis was designed in 1961.  It was then
1973.  The press complaints at the time of introduction said it all.  The
car had a harsh suspension, too much windnoise and a low level of interior
luxury for the price.  They loved the engine, but were disapointed with the
dated platform.  The target market was young executives, who wanted a flash
high performance vehicle.  The MGB GT V8 was competing with cars such as the
Ford Capri V6 which had similar performance, seated 4 and had a higher
available trim level, for a lower cost.  Despite the lovely motor and marque
fame, the MGB GT V8 was just not competitive in the marketplace.

        Now we look back with rosy fogged hindsight and make silly comments
about the car that would have saved MG.  An MGB has a wonderful vintage
flavor to it.  That flavor is what makes it a beloved machine.  Vintage
flavor does not sell automobiles in a competitive mass market.  British
Leyland was not The Morgan Car Co.  It could not support a limited market
low volume vehicle.

        Now I am going to get flamed out the wazoo.  The best thing IMHO
that BL could have done was to dump the MGB and use a crystal ball to ignore
the roll over debate and get the TR8 convertible into production before
1974.  The TR7 shell was a well developed modern structure with well located
suspension.  Interior space and comfort were good.  Ride quality was
excellent (too soft by some standards).  The TR8 in hard (preferably
fastback) or soft top could have given the competition a run for the money.
Just as the Capri was available with a lower level engine, the TR7 with
suitable 4 cylinder would have been an excellent entry level vehicle.  The
original Saab 99 engine was designed by Triumph.  If the engine progression
had of been paralleled, many of the design flaws in the TR7 2.0L would have
been solved.  Could you imagine a 16 valve version of the Triumph engine
with the same reliability as the Saab 900 engine.  Instead of allowing the
MGB to soldier on with reduced power and antiquated handling, could you
imagine a line of TR7 platform vehicles.  Starting with a base 8 valve, up
to an injected V8.  Body styles including CVT, fastback, or sportwagon (ala
Jensen Healey).  Ok, this is from a die hard MGB fan.  But I keep my eyes
wide open to the limitations of the MGB design.

regards

Kelvin.

Kelvin.