geez

Re: Geez Palm Pilot Options.

To: "Charles Brown" <brow@bright.net>
Subject: Re: Geez Palm Pilot Options.
From: "Byron Short" <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:31:50 -0700
Hey Charles,

I would put your Miata in around 3.0 for roll and 2.0 for
pitch.  These are really stiff settings, but with those
spring rates, should be pretty close.  A difference of a
whole degree (=-1.0) on roll makes a very small difference
(about 0.015g) in the readings, so don't worry if you are
exact or not.  And I'm confident that these numbers would be
within 1 degree of correct.

The sample rate warning is common the older Palm software,
but shouldn't occur (on most Palms) on the newer software.
If you haven't done it yet, pick up the newest Palm software
on the website http://www.extremegeez.com , then follow the
links to the download page.  The software was new on
5/16/01.  It includes a "smart" checking to see how long to
wait between samples to get your Palm to it's highest
possible level (up to 10Hz).  This software also includes
battery checking, so if your 9v battery is low, the Palm
will report "LOW BATT" instead of "STANDBY".  It will still
work, but you should replace your battery as soon as you can
after you see this, at least by the next event.

We've found that some of the early Palm III's can't get up
to speed to keep up with the new Palm software and so always
report a sample rate warning, even when running with the
latest software.  The tradeoff here is that the additional
functionality (Low Batt, and smart sample rate checking) can
somewhat overwhelm these older machines, and the best they
can do is still just a little below the warning threshhold.
In these cases, the software still automatically
interpolates the missing samples, to keep you on track.  So
it's annoying, but not dangerous.  Oddly, most of the Palm
III's that we've tried don't have this problem, but we've
seen 2 that do, and do it consistently.  So it might just be
a short period of production of the III's that did it.  As
we said, it's not really harmful, though, so the software
makes you aware of it at download time, then adjusts
accordingly to make it seemless to the end-user.

We continue to tweak the Palm software.  Stay tuned.

A rubber-banded desktop cradle?  Hey, why not just use the
desktop cradle sitting on your center console, and slow down
so as not to spill the whole thing going around turns?  ;-)
Seriously, though, on your older Palm III, the cable is
$15-20, depending on where you find it.  Best to buy locally
on that small of a part, to avoid shipping.  They are
available pretty much everywhere.  But if you can't find it
locally, try www.outpost.com.  They always have them in
stock, but you do wind up paying for shipping too.

--Byron
  888-909-0818

Charles Brown wrote:

>     What do you think it would be for a Miata, with ground control, (Stiff)
> 450F and 300R? Last autox I had a lot of adjusting to do. I also got several
> messages about sample rate? being below, so many per second, message when I
> downloaded them to the laptop (from the m105).
>
> Any Idea what that might be about?
>
> I was using a rubber banded  desktop sync cradle deal. I hopefully will have
> the cable before Saturday, and the next runs ;>)
>
> Regards
> CB

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list