Re: [Roadsters] cleaning carbs

To: "'Larry Braddock'" <larrybraddock@ca.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] cleaning carbs
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:25:15 +1030
--===============1184658254==

I have found that if you use a carb cleaner first, then it gets fairly
expensive to clean them up.
My advice is to scrub them up with a variety of brushes and a good degreaser
to a point where they look reasonable, then use a carb cleaner.
You still need to use a brush with the carb cleaner to loosen all the
ingrained crap.
In other words, use a cheap cleaner to remove the worst of the grime, then
spend some money to remove the remainder :)
I don't think any solvent used will damage the internals but you will
probably need to replace all the gaskets anyway.
Personally, I like to grit blast the cast pieces to get them really squeaky
clean.

2:13 PM