RE: Wiper pivots

To: <Keith0alan@aol.com>, <efrisbee@charter.net>,
Subject: RE: Wiper pivots
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:29:41 +0930
Hi Keith, Eric & List,
I have done a heap of wiper pivots from various cars and the following seems
to work well: -
Mount the pivot arm firmly in a vice so that the pivot and its housing is
vertical.
Wire brush lightly to expose the retaining circlip. usually a wuzzy piece of
wire wrapped around the shaft at the top of the housing.
Dose up the pivot mecahnism with CRC 5-56/WD-40 or your favourite
penetrating fluid.
Over time, gently lever the outer pivot housing up using a flat bladed
screwdriver between the top of the vice jaws and at several points around
the perimeter of the shaft.
If it doesn't move, add more CRC and wait another day or two.
If it does begin to move, add more CRC and wait another hour or two.
(If you have the CRC in bulk try immersing the whole pivot assy. in a cup of
fluid.)
The bearing surface is usually brass but the alloy sticks to it pretty well
without any lubricant.
Until the CRC can weep down the length of the shaft and break the grip the
two are definately one.
Once removed the shaft and housing can be wire brushed, re-sleeved if
necessary, re-lubed and re-assembled.
Usually though, once cleaned, the shaft and brass sleeve/bearing come up
like new and the fit is fine.
I use Castrol PH grease to lube the pivot shaft and bearings, replace the
wuzzy wire circlip with a decent external circlip and fit new wiper boots if
used to prevent the pivot galling in the next 30 years.
I might add that most sluggish wiper problems I have worked on have been
caused by mechanical friction rather than electrical problems.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner.
1972 PL510 2 door - VG30ET on Autogas.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

Those wiper pivits have got to be one of the biggest pains to work on. I
have always found them to be very hard to get apart without mangeling them.
The
combination of galvonic corrosion and pot metal is very ugly.

keith

---