Re: battery problem on '69 1600 (I hope)

To: "Roadsters E-Mail List" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: battery problem on '69 1600 (I hope)
From: "Bob Winslade" <bubwin@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:52:13 -0500
Being a former mechanic, I remember being taught to replace the regulator
with the alternator or generator.  That's when generators were being
replaced with the newer, more efficient alternators.  The regulators were
not changed much, and still used points to make/brake connections for
charging.

Here's how I determine when to replace a regulator with the alternator.  If
the regulator is electronic, leave it.  If it's the older type with points,
replace it with the alternator.

The points have a servicable life, just like the ones in distributors.  For
the most part, electronic regulators work until they puke.  Point type can
become finicky.

Of course internal regulators within alternators changed all that, so if you
changed one, you changed both.

Bob
1966 1600
1970 510 4 door Ice Racer