Re: battery problem on '69 1600 (I hope)

To: "Eric Corwin" <ecorwin@uchicago.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: battery problem on '69 1600 (I hope)
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:53:57 -0500
It's a VERY bad idea to charge your battery with your alternator on ANY
car!!!    Your alternator was designed for recharging the battery for normal
drains like starting and accessories, not dead batteries... and your wiring
isn't really up for the task either.  It can and will overheat and melt.
Additionally, the alternator could ask for over 30 amps, which is all your
amp gauge (AKA, expensive fusing system) can safely handle.   A battery
charger is a good investment and I think Sears will sell you one for $50 or
less?    I bet you can't find a wiring harness or amp gauge for that...

As to your battery drain...  does your clock work?   Also, how old is your
starter?   I have had problems with both...  clock puts a steady drain on
the system.   Also had an old starter that the insulation on the inside was
allowing minor arcing inside for a much faster drain.

Good luck!!!
Eric