Re: Towing continued

To: ericarm@alum.calberkeley.org, solex67@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Towing continued
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 00:25:37 EDT
Hello,

I too have a towbar that connects to the bumper mounts.  It is a two peice
unit where half connects to the Roadster and the other half connects to the
hitch.

I have towed my roadsters to and from the racetrack several times this way.
But then I heard of horror stories about how the bumber mounts could seperate
from the frame.  This of course meant that you would have a roadster on the
loose.

When I took a look underneath the car I did notice that the bumper mounts
were only attached to the frame via just two spot welds.  After I saw that I
decided that it wasnt a good idea to tow that way anymore.  That was when I
bought a trailer.

If anyone is thinking of towing that way I would suggest that you look at
what you are mounting too and possibly reconsider.  Or you can reinforce the
bumper mounts to accomodate the additional stress of pulling and pushing.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion