Re: I'm Retarded!!!!!!! my engine that is

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I'm Retarded!!!!!!! my engine that is
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:09:37 -0700
Okay, Daniel, here's something else to check. There are actually two places on
the distributor where the advance can be changed. The one you are describing is
the "normal" one that everyone uses to set the timing. If you are looking
straight down on the distributor, it is at 6:00. This is the one that has the
degree
markings on it. You loosen the screw and twist the distributor back and forth.

This is actually a plate that is fastened to the bottom of the distributor body
by a screw that goes UP through the plate into the distributor. This screw is at
about 2:00. You will notice that there is a slot there, too. You can loosen
this screw and adjust the distributor even more (assuming there is any
adjustment
left).

If you are completely out of adjustment on both of these, then it means that
the distributor drive gear is off by one tooth on the jackshaft. There is enough
total adjustment between these two slots that you can ALMOST get the timing
right even if you are off a tooth. Any more than one tooth and I doubt if the
engine
would even run.

A truly anal-retentive engine builder would probably set things up so that the
"normal" pointer is sitting at 0 when the actual initial advance is at 16
degrees
(or 20 degrees for the Solex setup). That way you would have plus or minus 10
degrees to play with at the distributor and the degree markings would mean
something.

Getting the drive gear off by one tooth is all too easy to do. It seems like
changing it is simple, but the gears are helical (spiral), so the drive gear
rotates as it comes out. The bottom end of the drive gear is like a screwdriver
blade, and that blade has to mesh with the oil pump drive shaft. So when you
take the gear out, it rotates the oil pump drive shaft with it until it is
clear of it. When you put the gear back in, it engages the drive shaft as it
rotates
down. This means that when you are shifting the drive gear one way or the
other, you have to rotate the oil pump shaft a little bit in the same direction
you
are shifting the distributor drive gear, or else the two won't engage when you
put the gear back in. It's a real guessing game that has taken me as much as an
hour to get right sometimes.

BTW, here's a way to do a quick "static timing" on an engine before you fire it
up. Turn the engine over by hand until it is showing 16 degrees BTDC on the
timing marks. Turn on the ignition (don't hit the starter, obviously, just turn
it to "On" so there is juice to the ignition). Then pull the distributor cap and
loosen the adjusting screw. Twist the distributor slowly back and forth by hand
and watch for the points to spark. You want to lock the distributor down as
close as possible to the point at which the points spark. This will get you
close enough to correct timing that the car should start fine. Then you can
dial it
in accurately with a timing light.

This will only work if you are running points - If you have a Pertronics or
other non-point triggering mechanism, this won't work.

--
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA