Re: I'm Retarded!!!!!!! my engine that is

To: Dan Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: I'm Retarded!!!!!!! my engine that is
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Dan Neuman wrote:
> ...I can not advance the timing enough???

Daniel,
   Assuming everything mechanical is OK, it _may_ be that the
distributor gear is off by a tooth.

   Pull the distributor, turn the oil pump shaft about 1/8 turn
(I believe to advance you go CCW). Turn the dist about 1/8 turn too
and you should be able to drop it back in. This will advance the timing
22.5 degrees. See if things seem better (you'll have to retard the
distributor to get it to start! And if CW was the right direction,
you'll know soon enough :-) ).

   To get the dist pointer to match reality, tighten the dist
holddown/pointer to point to 16 degrees, loosen the bolt on the
bottom of the dist that holds the pointer plate to the dist
body, and set the timing (of course, tighten that bolt when
done). The end result is the dist pointer is actually accurate!

   Also remember that adjusting point gap (i.e. dwell) affects
the timing!

-- John