Re: US-Canadian customs.

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu, stevenh@execpc.com
Subject: Re: US-Canadian customs.
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 99 18:56:15 CDT
Usually when USED ANTIQUE (more than 25 years old) parts are brought
back from Canada there is LITTLE or NO Custom Charges.

To get the facts, you might want to ask a datsun roadster supplier
who is in British Columbia. I realize you're engine purchase is
from someone else, but he might be able to give you and idea of
what is required by custom's.

When I lived in Oregon, I would do a two day run up to British Columbia
for parts. In that case I was personally bringing the item back, and
meet the 48 hour // $400 exemption from duty charges. Never had a
problem... but a 510 with a Datsun Roadster Hood on a roof rack did
draw a little attention. I was tempted to explain it was to protect
me from meteors... but didn't.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX. (A bit of a drive to the Canadian Border from here!)