Re: Spridget->Elite->Europa->Seven?

To: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-chapman-era@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: Spridget->Elite->Europa->Seven?
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:28:06 -0700
Matt Liggett asked:
>>> I've been thinking lately of how I could get my Seven.  I don't want to
>>> finance it.  I thought, maybe I could sell my Spridget, buy an Eclat or
>>> Elite, fix that up, sell it, buy a Europa, etc, until I can afford to buy
>>> a Seven.  I would drive each car a few (3-8) years on the way up.  Maybe
>>> someday I could even sell the Seven to buy an Elise.

>>> Questions:
>>> Will I miss having a sportscar when I have the Eclat/Elite?  Do they feel
>>> (relatively) big, slow and bulky?  I'm having trouble with a stepping
>>> stone between Spridgets ($2-$3k max) and Europas ($6k on the bottom).

Matt, where are you located?

It depends what you want in the long term.  Your Spridget (or, have you
considered a Spitfire / GT6?) could be nearly as interesting as a 7, if
you are willing to put enough work into it.  Spitfires can be made into
extremely potent devices, using surprisingly low bucks, if you are
creative.    (Cue Chris K.?)

If you know that you won't ever be satisfied until you get a 7, consider
building up one of the 7 replicas (but obviously, don't do this if you
ever need to go racing... none of the organizations here in the States
will admit you.)  It is something that you could invest in over several
years, while you are in the process of building it.

An Elite or Eclat is a completely different proposition.... much more
different from a 7, than a Spridget or Spitfire is from a 7, in my humble
estimation.  Don't get a Lotus just because it says Lotus on the badge.
You might discover that it isn't really what you needed or wanted.

Making money on cars by restoring them and selling them is an extremely
difficult thing to do.  Not that it might not be worth the effort, if you
wanted to invest the time... it's hard to imagine a more intensive way to
learn about restoring cars!  But don't think of this as an efficient way
to make extra money... simply moonlighting at another job would probably
get you further, faster.

VanBlanken wrote:
>> Save the Spridget for a long time. Save the Mini for a long time.
>> Dump the Saab.  Buy a Miata and pretend it is an Elan.

> Heh.. that bit won't work.  The SAAB is the only car that can carry
> building materials.

Another reliable Swedish beater, eh?  Well FWD is A-OK for carrying
building materials.  (Or rallying in snow!)

Seriously, it is VERY hard to pretend that a Miata is an Elan, if you've
ever driven an Elan.  I know.  I've tried!

Not to knock Miatas.... they are wonderful cars, they just aren't really
a substitute for an Elan, Europa, or 7.

Anyway I don't think Miatas have fallen much below $6K yet, either...

Regards,
Erik Berg