Re: *Another* 5 speed Toyota 'box for Elan?

To: p.mottram@medicine.unimelb.edu.au (Patricia Mottram)
Subject: Re: *Another* 5 speed Toyota 'box for Elan?
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 03:22:01 -0700
Howdy, David M.
You wrote:
>there was a car here called a TA18 Toyota back in the 80's. I suspect the
>gearbox was the same as many other Toyota boxes but as we all know it is
>the little things that are different.

OK, TA18 sounds a lot more familiar than T18 did.

Hmmm.... the TA14 was a 78ish Carina.  Was the TA18 a Carina, as well?
Or was the TA18 a rwd Celica?  If it was one of the Celicas, then it
probably had a W50 gearbox.  If it was one of the turbocharged Carinas,
it probably had a W55 gearbox. If it was one of the more mundane
Carinas, it probably had a T50 gearbox.

(Toyota likes to keep us swappers guessing, I think ;-)

Did the tranny case have a split down the center, from front to back?

David, you previously wrote:
>>> The ratios were dreadful so I had some straight cut gears made by
>>> Hollinger Engineering here in Melbourne to match those of the ultra
>>> close box in the original Elan (2.5:1 first gear).

>> Ahh yes.  Heard of Hollinger, from Bill Sherwood!  Recently, Bill
>> Sherwood expressed some doubt as to the willingness of Hollinger to
>> continue to do custom work for us *mere* amateurs.   :-(

>It surprises me if Peter Hollinger will not make gears for a customer. He
>is actually a really nice guy, I have known him for years. Either way there
>are any number of alternatives sources for the gears here in Melb.

Well, I think the story was that Hollinger had recently gotten very busy,
because of working on group A rally cars and such... but I suspect there
are OZ gearheads who would be happy to hear what you are saying,
if true!

Billzila, any thoughts?

>I did away with the remote house and simply made up a fitting for where
>the housing was originally affixed complete with custom gear stick.

Yeah, I have a feeling that such an expedient might be useful for
shortening the bellhousing-to-stick length on the Ford T9, as well.

>Hope this is of some help despite the lack of definition.

Hey, thanks!  I think you defined it OK.

> I have also got a
>Sierra box that I am sure has been fitted by somebody some where to an
>Elan. It has the correct after market bell housing but of course the
>stick is "way" back under your armpit.

Yes. In fact, the Sierra 'box (T9) is one of the most obvious Elan 5
speed swap candidates.  And, yes, the "armpit" problem is probably its
chief disadvantage.  That is why I'm interested in the approach you
took, in doing your remote housing mods on that Toyota 'box.

Actually, the T9 might be even more complicated, because its remote
change housing is integrally cast, rather than being a separate
piece.  For an excellent pic of the T9 (for which, we remain humbly
indebted to David Drew, and thanks to Michael Sands for hosting it):

http://www.dnai.com/~sands/cars/trans/type-9a.gif

>Is there a FAQ on this topic?

A FAQ?  GOOD QUESTION!!  No, they ain't no such thang, as far as I
am aware!

Actually, one of my personal goals for chapman-era is to create such
a thing, although I'm not sure that I would strictly limit it to the
format of a FAQ.

My idea is that there should be a short write-up, with a couple pics,
for each candidate gearbox, that would be done up in html, and posted
to someone's site on the web.  Each gearbox gets a page, sorta.

I'm going to follow up with another message, discussing how we might
get started on this project.

Regards, and sorry for the WOB,
Erik Berg

4 rwd, 0 fwd