Re: *Another* 5 speed Toyota 'box for Elan?

To: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Subject: Re: *Another* 5 speed Toyota 'box for Elan?
From: p.mottram@medicine.unimelb.edu.au (Patricia Mottram)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:50:56 +1000 (EST)
Erik,
there was a car here called a TA18 Toyota back in the 80's. I suspect the
gearbox was the same as many other Toyota boxes but as we all know it is
the little things that are different.
Ultra close correction noted.
It surprises me if Peter Hollinger will not make gears for a customer. He
is actually a really nice guy, I have known him for years. Either way there
are any number of alternatives sources for the gears here in Melb,
I did away with the remote house and simply made up a fitting for where the
housing was originally affixed complete with custom gear stick.
Actually the reason for the spacer was to move the gearstick back from the
dash as well as get the stack length correct.
The bell housing came from the local hod rod scene in Castlemaine. They
make almost any combination you want.
I used the Toyota drive plate with the OD reduced to TC size and a 8.5"
Elan pressure plate. The spigot in the crankshaft was machined to suit the
Jap box and the throw out was the std. ford item.

Hope this is of some help despite the lack of definition. Basically the
whole job was so expensive from the owners point of view , although he is
very happy with it, that I doubt that anybody would pay to have it done. Of
course when you do it yourself it is cheaper but not free of dollars or
effort.

I have often thought of Laycock OD units that fit MGB et al. But I will
wait untill a customer rthink they would like to do it. I have also got a
Sierra box that I am sure has been fitted by somebody some where to an
Elan. It has the correct after market bell housing but of course the stick
is "way" back under your armpit.

Is there an FAQ onthis topic?