Seven and Elite history, and administrivia

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Seven and Elite history, and administrivia
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 02:15:33 -0700
Howdy, all.  This message is mostly concerned with Michael Sands' web
site, which is at:
http://www.dnai.com/~sands/

Hi, Michael.  How goes the battle?

> I finally got around to fixing my pages.

Yeah, I noticed that your site has been growing little by little, over the
months!  Lots more info there now... lookin' good.

>I added your comments about the
>Costin brothers to the end of Scott's history.  Thanks for the information.

Sure, no problem!  But it does seem to me that I had promised you some
more information in this regard... did I still owe you something?  (If I'm
being anal about this, tell me.... I just don't want to duck out of any prior
commitments that I've made.)

Of course, as you are aware by now, if you have been keeping up with
the lotus-cars postings, I erred in describing the Cosworth FVA and FVC
as being gear driven.  Tony Clark recently posted a message including a
comment to the effect that the FV series engines (unlike the _D_FV
series engines) are chain driven.  I have no reason to doubt that he is
correct!  In truth, I have never personally seen what a FV widget looks
like, *under* the timing cover.

Also, looking at the only picture I have on hand of a FV head, it does
indeed appear to be *very* similar to the Lotus twin-cam (trink?) head
in that area, which would lead me to think Tony is correct, and it uses
a timing chain.

>On a different note, I have retained the pictures of the transmissions on
>my web site.  Do you still have aspirations of the Chapman group taking
>off?

Yeah, chapman-era has not exactly been tearing up the bandwidth, eh?

Well, that's OK.... I'm certainly not too worried about it.

I'm content to let it grow slowly, by word of mouth.  I'm quite pleased by the
*quality* of our roster, even though the *quantity* is still a bit below what
you might call, critical mass.

I've not advertised chapman-era much yet, partly because:

1)  I don't want us to appear to be competing with Alan's lotus-cars list.
It is not our intent to compete with lotus-cars, and I certainly don't want
people there to imagine that we are competing with them.

2)  I've wanted to automate the delivery of an introductory message,
whereby new subscribers would automatically get an information form
to fill out and post to chapman-era, but I've had trouble contacting MJB
to coordinate the implementation of this, thus far.

3)  Word of mouth is actually good, because it keeps our roster focused
on our specific interests.

>I will happily leave the transmission pictures there if you think it helpful.

I'm going to post this message to chapman-era, because I would like to
see if there is anyone else willing to, or interested in, picking up a few
chapman-era .jpg images to host at their own site.  Michael, if I don't
get any takers, then yes (pretty please) could you keep them there for a
little while?  Like, maybe until the end of this year?  By then, I'll get my
own page to put them on....

And by the way, Tony C., thanks for the gift (whatever it is...) that is being
delivered by Ken C.... even though it *was* transported part of the way by
faux-lan.

(bleeeechhh...  ;-)

Regards,
Erik "can't imagine a fwd Lotus, much less a fwd Elan" Berg

PS> Michael, I just surfed into your site, and was lookin' for the Costin
comments, and actually I couldn't find them.  Am I looking in the wrong
place?  Which page was it on, again?