Re: ZF, Alfa, and Japanese <gasp> 5 speeds

To: francis sanchez <francis_sanchez@bc.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: ZF, Alfa, and Japanese <gasp> 5 speeds
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 00:37:53 -0700
Howdy, Francis
You wrote:
>Anyway, for the fun stuff...some of you wanted to know what I was asking
>for my twincam 1750cc bottom end. Let me remind you once again that it is
>complete in one piece ready to bolt it. Forged pistons, new rods, new
>crank, water pump (including front plate, oil pump..the works. All
>balanced...and new. $2500 US or best offer.

Is that crank a vanilla flavored cross flow unit, or somethin' more
esoteric?  How 'bout them rods?

>I have a million other Elan and 907 parts so let me
>know if anyone might be interested

Got any spare Ford 2.5 first three rail 'boxes on the shelf?  :-)

>I had an article on an Alfa 5 spd swap to the Elan, it came originaly
>from New Zealand and was reprinted a long time ago in our provincial
>Lotus club. I talked to a guy with a ZF, he said that after all the
>trouble he went to the conversion wasn't worth it even though he loves it
>a lot. The transmission was mucho dineros itself and making the plate
>wasn't cheap either. It was between 5 and six grand to do it.

Hey, Francis, you've got me interested in a couple different bits here.
OK, lets take them one at a time...

First of all, if you can find that article about the Alfa 5 speed Elan
swap, I would *definitely* like to get a copy of it!  That information
would be sort of another milestone for our "gearbox group".

Next, which ZF?  Do you know (holding my breath) what donor vehicle
it came from?  Assuming not, is there anything that you could do to put
me in touch with this guy?  I would very much like to contact him.

Um... 5 or 6 grand was <gulp> US$, CA$, OZ$, NZ$ ?  Jeez, did he
purchase the 'box directly from ZF, or somethin'?

> Caterham does have a 6 speed. Anyone know about that?

Speaking for myself, all I know is that it exists.... nothing else.
Anyone here know anything more?  At one time, I thought the Caterham
6 speed was, in fact, the Quaife 6 speed (and, if so, neither you nor
I would probably want to even hear what it would cost!) but someone
on kitracers said they thought not...  Was that you, Phil Bradshaw?
I have forgotten.

> I don't think I have the  heart to put a Japanese tranny in a
> Britmobile.

Well, for what its worth, its been done lotsa times before!  Lotus
themselves have done it, for example  ;-)

Regards,
Erik "no, I'm not too proud to Japanise my Lotus" Berg

4 rwd, 0 fwd