FVA technotrivia

To: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Subject: FVA technotrivia
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:05:52 -0700
Howdy, all.
I wrote:
>> Of course, as you are aware by now, if you have been keeping up with
>> the lotus-cars postings, I erred in describing the Cosworth FVA and FVC
>> as being gear driven.  Tony Clark recently posted a message including
>> a comment to the effect that the FV series engines (unlike the _D_FV
>> series engines) are chain driven.  I have no reason to doubt that he is
>> correct!  In truth, I have never personally seen what a FV widget looks
>> like, *under* the timing cover.

>> Also, looking at the only picture I have on hand of a FV head, it does
>> indeed appear to be *very* similar to the Lotus twin-cam (trink?) head
>> in that area, which would lead me to think Tony is correct, and it uses
>> a timing chain.

Tony replied:
>WRONG!  WRONG!  both FVA & FVC were gear-drive  . . .  I must have been
>making the point that they were not BELT drive and mistakenly said
>chain rather than gear.  Ten thousand pardons for a dumb mistake!

Hey no problem Tony, and thanks for the clarification.  Looks like my
meager understanding of it may have been correct, after all.

By the way, have you ever heard the song of one of these things, used
in battle?  It has a little bit different quality than a trink or a BD
engine, a sweet high pitched whine, along with the exhaust note.  I have
always ass-u-me-d that this is because of the gear drive.  What do you
think about this hypothesis?

Regards,
Erik