OK, pass the crow my way

To: M426hemi@aol.com
Subject: OK, pass the crow my way
From: "Erik V. Berg" <erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:19:08 -0700
Howdy, all.
I wrote:
>Marc, I'm glad to hear that you've found all the bits you will need
>to put an Austin Maxi 5 speed 'box in your S4 Elan.  It sounds as if
>the lotus-cars list has come through with the info you needed.  Yay
>for the home team!  Did Neil Dixon help you out here?

followed by a legthy diatribe, on the advantages and disadvantages of
the Austin <sic> 5 speed 'box as an Elan transplant.

Well (details, mere details) I'm surprised that no one has called
me on this yet, but of course the widget *does* come in a Lotus
case.

OK.  I goofed. I suppose, technically, I was quite wrong, in
assserting that it is not a "Lotus" gearbox.

I can't imagine how I forgot this.  Neil Dixon sent me a message
a few months back (thanks, Neil) mentioning "Austin Maxi internals
in a Lotus case" or something to that effect.

My main point was (and still is) that it never came as original
equipment in the Elan, so the argument touting that it is the
"genuine Lotus Elan 5 speed transmission" is weak at best, and
at worst, a bit misleading.

That all having been said, Marc, yes, definitely GO FOR IT!

I, for one, will be *very* interested in how it works out.

Regards,
Erik Berg

4 rwd, 0 fwd

PS>  Apologies also, for sending a couple of messages without
     subject lines.  I'm still getting familiar with a new and
     different mail tool.