RE: Web Sites & Software

Subject: RE: Web Sites & Software
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 07:30:10 -0800
Glen Wilson wrote :

> What browser bugs?  I don't have any problems with Internet
> Explorer.

Well, Opera was originally mentioned as being an "up and coming" alternative
to NS and IE...

> There is a free version that is ad supported and does not offer a
> full-size
> viewing area because of the space the ads occupy.

Point taken, but there are those who feel a little honest advertising is
preferable to Microsoft and AOL's goal of ruling the Internet.

> Free is only free when you don't pay for the privilege of using a
> product by
> giving up your privacy.

Well, I suppose it boils down to who do you trust.  I've followed
Microsoft's career as they've stolen software, cheated their partners,
bullied their distributors, lied in court and generally behaved with all the
morals of a 15 year old gang member.  You may recall that what the FBI
identified as the worst computer security hole ever, was a deliberate design
feature placed in Win XP by Microsoft ...

By contrast, AFAIK Opera is guilty only of offering an ad-ware version of
their primary product.

Randall