RE: Web Sites & Software

Subject: RE: Web Sites & Software
From: "Glen Wilson" <rstca@hemmings.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 02:39:55 -0500
Randall Young writes:

>  I use and like ZoneAlarm (both Pro and the free version), it
> doesn't do a lot to solve browser bugs.

What browser bugs?  I don't have any problems with Internet Explorer.  Most
of my problems come from programs that insinuate themselves into every nook
and cranny of your computer.  That's a major drawback of the AOL software.

> Glen, maybe I missed something here.  The Opera web site states
> "All desktop
> versions of Opera 5 and 6 are free!", which seems pretty clear.

Randall, I got the price I quoted from the Opera website pricing page

http://www.opera.com/order/pricing.html

The price is $39 USD.

There is a free version that is ad supported and does not offer a full-size
viewing area because of the space the ads occupy.  I downloaded it once and
thought it was pretty good, but I didn't want the Opera company moving in
and out of my computer changing the ads every few minutes.  You can be sure
that Opera is also collecting data on where you go and what you do, and who
knows where that information goes?  The free Internet Explorer doesn't
invade your privacy like that, and you can use your firewall to block any
attempt by Microsoft to come in and fool with your files.  I suspect that
the free version of Opera would become inoperable (pun) if you blocked the
flow of data in or out.

Free is only free when you don't pay for the privilege of using a product by
giving up your privacy.

The Opera ordering page ( http://www.opera.com/order/ ) explains why you
would want to pay $39 USD for a fully functional version of Opera:

Why Buy Opera?
Remove the banner advertisement
Increase the browsing window area
Browse the web your way
Surf freely and discreetly
Help Opera continue to make the best possible browser

Stroud's CWSapps ( http://cws.internet.com/web-opera.html ) describes Opera
prices as:

"Experimental beta release (latest official - v6.01). Commercial version -
$39"

In the product review they say this:

"Opera is offered as an ad-supported freeware release, which means you can
surf the Web for free as long as you like; you just have to be willing to
put up with a small advertising banner. Those who would prefer to surf
without the browser banner can purchase the commercial edition of Opera 5
for $39."