RE: Web Sites & Software

Subject: RE: Web Sites & Software
From: "Glen Wilson" <rstca@hemmings.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:14:50 -0500
Opera may be pretty good, but (since Opera is not free) why not spend your
$40 USD on Zone Alarm Pro and stop worrying about all of this stuff.  At
your option, you can block cookies selectively, block advertisements on
pages (saving you time by not downloading them), block pop-up ads, control
which of your programs have access to the internet, block any gathering
information on you and tracking where you have been, automatically scan your
email for viruses, and lots of other stuff.  There is a version you can
download for free, but it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles.  They
just came out with a new version of ZoneAlarm Pro, and it is pretty slick.

http://www.zonelabs.com

Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are free, and they are
excellent programs.  Aside from any other advantages they might have, you
will have ZERO compatibility problems.  I can't get all worked up about
Microsoft controlling the software market because, hey guys, it's a fjte
accompli (pardon my probably poor French spelling).  It's done and over with
and whatever happens to change it will be something revolutionary that makes
all present PC, Mac or Linux software entirely obsolete. And the current
American administration has given Microsoft the secret handshake sent them
along their merry way without doing anything of substance to restrict their
future activities or punish them for what they've done in the past.

The hew and cry about the dangers of using Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express are very much overblown, anyway.  These programs are no more
susceptible to worms and viruses than any other software for the internet;
it's just that no one bothers to write viruses for programs that can't
muster up even 2% of the market.  It's silly and irresponsible to be on the
net without taking appropriate precautions, anyway.  You can make a good
analogy to safe sex and the use of condoms because you're just as likely to
pass a virus on as you are to recieve one.

It doesn't take a lot of computer power to use any of these programs, and
they are free to all regadless of social class or economic status.

Glen